Thursday, December 13, 2018

Assyrian Reliefs at the British Museum Part One




Glazed terracotta tile of an Assyrian King and attendants
875-850 BC North-West Palace, Nimrud, Iraq 


Protective spirits - an Ugallu and probably the House God
645-640 BC North Palace, Nineveh, Iraq


























Protective spirit an Ugallu










In the mail this week I received I am Ashurbanipal, king of the world, king of Assyria edited by Gareth Brereton, a great book of the exhibition currently on at the British Museum from 8 November 2018 until 24 February 2019. This has inspired me to dig out and post photos from our 2011 visit there. Identifying individual reliefs is a bit tricky and time consuming, seven years after the event, so I have only captioned those I'm fairly certain about! I highly recommend the book, if you are at all interested in Assyria, published by Thames & Hudson, the paperback version is 348 pages, lavishly illustrated with colour photos and maps and it has interesting text. I also would recommend the book of the 2017 exhibition, Scythians warriors of ancient Siberia, edited by St John Simpson and Svetlana Pankova, both books are really fascinating.










Human-headed winged bull and attendant genie
 (alad-lammu or lammasu) c.710 BC Khorsabad, Iraq 


Human-headed winged bull and attendant genie
 (alad-lammu or lammasu) c.710 BC Khorsabad, Iraq 






















8 comments:

  1. The reliefs are terrific! Thank you for sharing photos from your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Jonathan, I have heaps of photos - enough for two more posts. That book on Ashurbanipal is a cracker!

      Delete
    2. I have the book on order.

      Your photo of Lamassu Guard Tower has me seriously adding one or two of these beauties to the collection.

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Desert-Guard-Tower-Painted-28mm-Persian-Assyrian-Wargame-Terrain-SHIP-WORLD-WIDE/143036283917?hash=item214da07c0d:g:CDIAAOSwIzBbFxXy

      Delete
    3. Yes I've seen those, very cool. I have a Grand Manner Assyrian siege tower but haven't painted it yet.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Michal, the British Museum is an amazing place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never tire looking at these reliefs. Just amazing. Would be great if Someone made early Assyrians like last photo in 28mm..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Colin they are just amazing with incredible detail. The Eureka early chariot is the only one I know of and some of the Foundry and Cutting Edge figures are probably suitable?

      Delete

Minoan Bull-Leapers

  Here is a set of Minoan Bull-Leapers that I've just painted. The figures are by Eureka Miniatures who have just released some great ci...