Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Early Imperial Roman Civil War Game

 


Armies deployed


Opposite end


My left flank


Craig's right flank


Craig's left flank


Scorpions on a hill


Craig's centre


My right flank advances



Last Tuesday afternoon Craig came over to my place and we played a Pacto (small) sized Mortem et Gloriam (MeG) game, with two similar Early Imperial Roman forces, fighting  a civil war. On my left flank I tried to chase his slingers down with my cavalry and eventually was successful on the third attempt. My auxiliaries surprisingly managed to hold the charge of his Praetorians and Veteran Legionaries. On my right flank my cavalry managed to route his. In the centre it proved to be a very one sided like last week, but this time the result was reversed, with Craig on the receiving end of some terrible dice rolling in combat and with his Kill a Base (KaB) tests. Craig's centre was destroyed and when his last cavalry unit routed it was all over. Because of the small unit sizes in Pacto, usually two bases a TuG or SuG, even a unit with only a single wound can easily break, if you roll a skull in a KaB test. These can be quite volatile and can cause an entire command to disappear in the blink of an eye, if you're unlucky!



My cavalry try to chase Craig's slingers down


Cavalry clash on my right flank


The centre closes


My Auxilia hold the Praetorians and Veteran Legionaries


Cavalry get closer to the slingers!


Combat in the centre decides the game


Craig's army breaks


12 comments:

  1. Super looking game, Mike! Has MeG become your “go to” ancients game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, it has for me I really like it, not sure if others are as convinced!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, it was fun but Craig had terrible luck with the dice.

      Delete
  3. Great looking game, Mike. I do like the look and feel of the game, particularly the size of the units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, it's a really clever set of rules, the Pacto format has 20-30 bases a side, with units usually two bases each.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, always fun to get the EIR out.

      Delete
  5. Great looking game and well done to the auxiliaries!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, yes they did surprisingly well.

      Delete
  6. I can’t see myself getting into another rules set anytime soon, but it looks cool. Those legionnaires look smart. Nicely done.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, there are new sets coming out all the time, you can't possibly play them all.

      Delete

Tlaxcallan Command and Archers

  Here are some Tlaxcallan command stands and archers. The command figures with vine and crane banners are by the Assault Group and the arch...