Monday, March 15, 2021

Gandhara 304 BC - Command & Colors Ancients

 

 Seleucids on the right, Indians on the left


Opposite end



Indians play a heavy troops card



Chandragupta leads his elephants in attack




Indian Heavy Chariots




More Indian elephants on the left flank



Last Sunday I played a solo Command and Colors Ancients (CCA) game out in the shed. The scenario was Gandhara 304 BC with the Early Seleucids under Seleucus taking on the Mauryan Indians under Chandragupta. This turned out to be a really one sided game, as the Indians never really got going. They had consistently poor cards and dice, while the elephants, light and heavy chariots were very brittle with only two blocks each. The Seleucids on the other hand had good cards and a counter attack and double time card allowed their pike to wreak havoc in the centre. Chandragupta was killed and the Indians were thrashed 8-1 victory points by the Seleucids.

GMT Games are currently shipping Command and Colors Samurai Battles (CCSB), I should get it this week. I'm really looking forward to this as there are 40 scenarios. A pdf of the rules is already available:


I've read them and they look really good, the Dragon cards and Honour and Fortune tokens really add an extra element to the game. I will just play this one with the blocks, as I have more than enough figures to paint as it is...





Seleucus advances with his Companions




Indians attack on the right flank




Indians retreat



Seleucids counter attack



A double time card - Seleucid pike wreak havoc



Seleucids thrash the Indians 8-1 victory points


14 comments:

  1. Awesome gaming with a plethora of beautifully painted troops. The tiger skin chariot is particularly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I have some 15mm Indians to paint, may try the tiger skin on a command chariot.

      Delete
  2. Spectacular and gorgeous, love the Indian Heavy Chariots...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I have more to paint in 28mm and 15mm.

      Delete
  3. I always like the eye candy of your C&C battle reports!
    There is something about the nice square blocks of troops...
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, the five inch hexes do allow reasonable sized units.

      Delete
  4. Great looking game and even if the Indians lost ,they still had the elephants and chariots which look so good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the Indians are definitely more colourful.

      Delete
  5. Great looking armies, Mike! Your Indian army is especially splendid. I pre-ordered GMT's Samurai Battles too. I saw that my CC has been charged. Hopefully the game shows up soon. We have played the Zvezda version since its release in 2012 and love it. The extra cards and tokens add a lot to the CC genre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jonathan, the Indians are a great looking army. I got my copy yesterday and spent the afternoon putting stickers on the blocks, it looks great. I remember seeing the Zvezda version but never bought it. Your 15mm Samurai armies look very nice, so look forward to some pics and reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has not shipped yet and I am on the West Coast of the USA.

      Delete
    2. That’s strange Jonathan, maybe they’re shipped on order date? My mate Rick got his copy the same day here.

      Delete

Sumerian Archers

  Here are two units of Sumerian Archers I've just finished painting. These are mainly Warlord/Cutting Edge figures from their Early Hou...