Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Year of the Four Emperors - Roman Civil War Strength and Honour Game

 

 Roman armies deployed


Forces advance cautiously


Early push backs for my raw legions


Push backs and setback cards mount



On Wednesday afternoon I went over to Rick's place and we played our first 2mm Strength and Honour game with a Roman civil war in the Year of the Four Emperors. We used the Roman units we had painted so far. Rick's force consisted of three experienced legions, two veteran legions and two raw legions. My force consisted of two experienced legions, three raw legions, two veteran auxiliaries and one Roman auxiliaries. Both sides had 61 points and an army break of 15.

We advanced cautiously and tried to maintain our lines with limited success. Before long the push backs and setback cards for my raw legions on the right flank were mounting. My veteran auxiliaries on the left pushed back and then routed one of Rick's raw legions but then two of my experienced legions were pushed back off the table. I cancelled one Homonculus Est activation with a Strategy command point but in the end Rick won a decisive victory, fairly easily. It was a quick, fun game and good to use the 2mm bases. My whole army fitted in to a 20mm high, 24cm by 16cm small Warbases box!



Veteran auxiliaries push back a raw legion


Two experienced legions are about to
be pushed back off the table


My Romans break


4 comments:

  1. A lovely dappled battlefield, I can see the appeal but I think I'd crave something bigger to be honest!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, it’s not to everyone’s taste but what’s nice with the scale is you can have a big game with heaps of terrain, a whole Roman marching fort for both sides, on a 6 by 4 foot table.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Absolutely Michal, many gamers have that point of view! :-)

      Delete

First Game of Border Wars - Reiving by the Big Rock

  Eliots on foot and mounted Armstrongs advance Eliots fire their pistols Armstrongs charge in to combat Last night we played our first game...