Thursday, April 20, 2023

Another Roman Civil War Strength and Honour Game

 


Armies deployed


Rick's What a Cowboy table


Side view of the deployment


My right flank is all over the place


My left flank is stranded with a Reversal of Fortune


One of my centre legions is
disordered and retiring, soon to rout!


Back on the right flank


My left flank makes some oblique advances



Last Wednesday evening I went over to Rick's place to play another Strength and Honour, Roman civil war game, this time with our 2mm forces that we have painted to date. Rick and Gary commanded one side and I commanded the other. Both sides had 10 units, 102 points and an army break point of 19. We deployed in a long line and Rick and Gary were the attackers. My right flank was soon all over the place and the left flank was then stranded with a quick Reversal of Fortune change over. The first combat of the game saw one of my legions in the centre retiring and disordered which turned to rout in the next turn.

After a bad start I managed to turn things around with some lucky dice rolling and got my left flank, centre and right flank back in some sort of order and started to get some pushbacks happening in combat. I made an early Homunculus Est call and Rick and Gary's Romans passed but the army was fatigued. Soon both sides were fatigued, the game was going to be decided in the centre. In the end I had a number of units here disordered, on the verge of routing, but was able to break their army before mine broke. Thanks to Rick and Gary, it was a really fun and close game.



Support helps on the right


Left flank is finally back in line


The centre will decide the game


Rick and Gary's Romans are fatigued


More action in the centre


Break point is almost reached


Auxilia on the left finally see some action


2 comments:

  1. 2 mm is such a great scale for large actions in their entirety. One loses some aesthetics, but the overall impression of grandness makes up for it.
    I loved the Romans making an appearance in the old west too!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James, it is you get a ‘bird’s’ eye view’ of a battlefield. There is not much detail on the figure blocks but you can really go to town with the terrain and table. Mark Backhouse’s Cannae game at Salute looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete

First Game of Border Wars - Reiving by the Big Rock

  Eliots on foot and mounted Armstrongs advance Eliots fire their pistols Armstrongs charge in to combat Last night we played our first game...