Monday, May 6, 2024

Mounted Sergeants

 






Here are a unit of mounted Sergeants with crossbow for a small Lion Rampant force of Teutonic Knights. The figures and horses are all Essex Miniatures. I have some plastic Fireforge sets to paint for the knights and other sergeants. For opponents I will use my Medieval Russians and Mongols. I'd quite like to refight the famous Battle on Lake Peipus in 1242 where Alexander Nevsky defeated the Teutonic Knights.

There is an entertaining 27 minute YouTube video of the battle scene, the Battle on Ice, from Sergei Eisenstein's 1938 movie Alexander Nevsky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcPixaWL2Pg







8 comments:

  1. Excellent work!
    I'm working now on a few dismounted Teutonic Knights from the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, cool I’ll look forward to your brushwork!

      Delete
  2. Great looking unit, I do like Essex figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, they scrubbed up well, there’s not too many early Feudal mounted crossbowmen around.

      Delete
  3. Great looking figures. Eisenstein's film is great, too, but his idea of the battle is based not on Russian chronicles but on his reading of the battle in heaven in Milton's 'Paradise Lost'! The earliest chronicles of the battle, which date from 50 years after the event, make no mention of a lake and have the Livonian Knights outnumbered 60 to 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that’s interesting, I read the cracking of the ice was invented for the movie.

      Delete
  4. Very nice mounted unit, great work on them. Essex figures always look the part for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, yes they’re always very consistent with their ranges.

      Delete

Etruscan ADLG Game

  Above are some 2nd Class Etruscan infantry that I’ve just finished painting. Figures are by Gorgon Studios with LBM shield transfers. On F...