Thursday, April 18, 2019

First Game of Men of Bronze



View from the Athenian side


View from the Spartan side


Athenian Peltasts and Drilled Hoplites


Athenian Elite Hoplites


Athenian Militia Hoplites and Peltasts


Spartan Elite Hoplites and Helot Psiloi


Spartan Elite Hoplites


Spartan Drilled Hoplites and Helot Psiloi


Yesterday in the mail I got my copy of the new Osprey skirmish rules, Men of Bronze Ancient Greek Hoplite Battles, a day before its official release. I've really been looking forward to these rules, as I have numerous armies for the period (Marathon to Chaeronea) and they are based on Dux Bellorum, my favourite dark age rules. After reading the rules I was disappointed for a variety of reasons but decided to try them out with a solo 38 point game with Spartans and Athenians of the Peloponnesian War meeting in a decisive battle.

One of the things I found confusing about rules was the measurements in base widths as Hoplite units move 6 base widths which is doubled to 12 when charging. In Dux Bellorum the standard infantry move is 2 base widths or 3 for impetuous warriors charging. I think this refers to a single base width as all the figures in the photos are 28mm based on single circular 25mm bases, so in effect a single base width equals 1 inch and this is what I went with in my game.

The Spartans had three hoplite units (2 Elite and 1 Drilled) and two units of Helot Psiloi. The Athenians had three hoplite units ( 1 Elite, 1 Drilled and 1 Militia) and two Peltast units. Both sides started the game with six Arete Points each (arete means excellence in Greek). These are similar to Command Points in Dux Bellorum and are used to bid for Initiative, charge, use a special rule, steal Initiative from your opponent, rally a Wavering unit and re-roll any one die.

In the centre the Spartans charged and the Athenians counter charged. The slogging match continued with units on both sides wavering and courage faltering. In the end two units on both sides bizarrely routed at the same time! A hoplite and skirmisher unit remained on either side, three units then failed their discipline tests, leaving a single wavering Spartan hoplite unit victorious.

I feel ambivalent about these rules but may try them again with Greeks and Persians or Thracians (Hill Tribe Barbarians). The last two army lists are very generic and seemed to have been added as an afterthought and do leave quite a bit to be desired in terms of historical accuracy. For me this is the main problem with this rule set and having major battles like Marathon, Plataea, Thermopylae, Cunaxa, Leuctra and Chaeronea reduced to skirmish game scenarios just doesn't really cut it.


The two forces close


Peltasts are within firing range


Spartans charge the Athenians


Athenians counter charge


Action on the Athenian centre and right flank


The slogging match continues


Units are wavering and courage is faltering


A single Spartan Hoplite unit remains victorious

11 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of the influx of skirmish-level games but many are. I prefer fighting whole battles. The quality of Osprey rules vary widely. Your troops are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I know you're a big battalions man, I guess for a lot of gamers who have limited time and money it is a good option. I think for major battles you should do it properly and reducing it to a skirmish game is not worthwhile.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful models!
    I paint the Athenians and gave me a lot of inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, look forward to seeing your Athenians, your Greek figures are top notch.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see your great looking figures, it's a pity and disappointing that the rule set didn't work for you,at least one thing you can say for Osprey is that it isn't a massive investment! Although it does mean I have bought rather more rules than I strictly need!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, as you say, it's not a huge investment but still disappointing.

      Delete
  4. Great to see your wonderful Classical Greeks on the table with a new set of rules, Mike. I must admit I'm surprised at the large number of troops for these rules - I was thinking they might be my gateway to get back into the period- - with fewer figs. I suppose they can be used with less too, but having as many as you do sure is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, the unit size recommended in the rules is 10 individually based figures for a phalanx but it is up to you as all measurements are in base widths. I found it a very disappointing set but probably had unrealistic expectations.

      Delete
  5. Sorry it was not to your tastes. I would love to hear a bit more about why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the rules, photos, army lists and scenarios all disappointing. It is such a great period I had hoped for a more comprehensive and authoritative set. I don't know how much play testing was done, but a QRS and FAQs are a good idea.

      Delete
  6. Thanks. Osprey should have a QRS soon and FAQ is on the blog:

    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2019/05/men-of-bronze-living-faq_6.html

    I hope you find what you are looking for! Thanks for sharing and the battle report. The models looked great.

    ReplyDelete

First Game of Border Wars - Reiving by the Big Rock

  Eliots on foot and mounted Armstrongs advance Eliots fire their pistols Armstrongs charge in to combat Last night we played our first game...