Sunday, April 26, 2020

Roman Marching Camp






Aerial view of the camp without tents and figures


Here is a Roman marching camp (castra) that I've just finished. This will be handy as a camp for my Roman armies and is designed to be placed on the table edge behind a deployed army. The stakes (sudes) are metal and plastic made by Warlord Games and 1st Corps Miniatures. The legionaries' tents are by Baueda and legionary figures are Warlord Games and Black Tree Designs. Steve Barber Models make a fantastic full size Roman marching camp, in resin and metal, that is 56 x 80 cm and costs 275 pounds!

I've just added a rather blurred aerial view of the camp without tents and figures but you can see the ditches and ramparts which were made with triangular balsa covered in Pebeo Raw Sand Mortar and painted. I use this stuff for all my basing, there are heaps of similar products or you could just use PVA glue and sand. The camp area has strips of burnt grass flocking with a few greener bits for variety.







13 comments:

  1. Congrats, it will illuminate your future tables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, it will give the Romans something to flee to!

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking marching camp! I was thinking of doing something similar that didn't have dedicated occupants ,out of interest how did you make yours, what are its dimensions and any chance of a plan view? I know I'm being demanding!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the main part is 30 cm wide by 20cm deep. I used balsa and mdf covered in painted Pebeo Raw Sand Mortar (a type of acrylic modelling gel I use for basing). The easiest and strongest stakes to use are the 1st Corps ones that come in 75mm strips. The entrance part is separate and is 8cm wide by 10cm deep. There is a good plan of a full sized one in Peter Conolly's Greece and Rome at War on p.136. I hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. That's great, I have Peter Conollys Roman Armies book, it's probably in there but your dimensions are really helpful!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. No worries Iain, I'll post an aerial shot of it as well without the tents and figures.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the aerial view, very helpful!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Lovely work and photos, Mike. Quite inspiring and timely as I am awaiting an order of EIR from Victrix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, you will love the Victrix EIR, I'm painting some at the moment, brilliant figures!

      Delete
  4. This will be a useful addition to your vast collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I have five Roman armies so it will definitely see some use.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, got a Parthian vs EIR CCA game organised so will use it soon.

      Delete

First Game of Border Wars - Reiving by the Big Rock

  Eliots on foot and mounted Armstrongs advance Eliots fire their pistols Armstrongs charge in to combat Last night we played our first game...