Friday, May 7, 2021

Legio XX Valeria Victrix

 








Here are some Early Imperial Roman legionaries that I've just finished painting. These have been stuck on the painting desk for a very long time, so it's good to see the back of them! They're all Victrix figures and shield transfers, from the advancing legionaries set. The Legio XX Valeria Victrix was stationed in Britain from the time of Claudius' invasion in 43 AD and were involved in the construction of Hadrian's Wall from 121-125 AD. The back drop photo was taken about ten years ago, on a trip to the UK, on a day walk along Hadrian's Wall, from Chollerford to Caw Gap. See post on Walking Hadrian's Wall for more photos.









14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, I'm glad I've finished them, phew!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks fmb, it’s hard to go wrong with Victrix.

      Delete
  3. Great looking EIR legionaries, Mike. I think Victrix did a splendid job on these - and the "attacking" set also. Romans in Britain is so "gameable" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I have some of their auxiliaries to do too. Absolutely!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I’ll have to get out my EIR for a game.

      Delete
  5. Very cool sir, I like the paint job, and sweet idea about backdrop.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, I’ll have to play an EIR vs Britons CCA game, so I can use them.

      Delete
  6. Wow, super-impressive with marvellous detail!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, they’re such detailed figures, you can’t go wrong.

      Delete

First Game of Border Wars - Reiving by the Big Rock

  Eliots on foot and mounted Armstrongs advance Eliots fire their pistols Armstrongs charge in to combat Last night we played our first game...