Here are some more untrained Carthaginian elephants for the Battle of Zama. The figures are all Agema Miniatures. The sources on the battle, Polybius, Livy and Appian don't mention whether Hannibal's eighty elephants (Polybius XV.11 & Livy XXX.33 ) were barebacked or had towers with crew. Much of Hannibal's army, apart from his Italian veterans, were hastily raised and the assumption is that with such a large number of elephants, more than he had ever fielded before in battle, many of them must have been untrained.
Anyway with these two ellies I have majority of untrained elephants for my planned Epic Command and Colors game of Zama, but still have plenty of Carthaginian and Roman infantry to paint. I painted one of the elephant's ears ochre with a Tanit (chief female deity of Carthage) sign on its forehead as I'd done an earlier one in red and quite liked the look. In the photos below you can see the four Agema elephants are the same basic resin model but the earlier ones have a different metal trunk and tusks and armoured mahout.





No comments:
Post a Comment