Friday, March 27, 2020

Parthians

















Here are some Parthian horse archers, cataphracts and baggage camels with guard. They're a real mix of ranges most of them painted years ago. I've just finished some more horse archers and cataphracts for some solo games I have planned, to bring the units up to strength.

I've been reading Warwick Kinrade's Soldiers of Rome rules which have just been released and I'm keen to try them out in a game. These are similar to his Soldiers of God rules which covers the Crusades. They're card driven for movement and actions but use normal dice for shooting, combat and morale.

They cover from the Gallic Wars through to the Marcomannic Wars with three basic lists - Romans, Barbarians and Parthians. The Barbarians actually include seperate lists for Britons, Gauls, Germans, Dacians and Cantabrians. I want to try a Cantabrian War (29-19 BC) game first with my Spanish and Celtiberians so will see how that goes.













10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, I do like horse archer armies.

      Delete
  2. First class cavalry/camelry, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I haven't played a game with my Parthians for ages.

      Delete
  3. Nice collection of mounted troops, Mike! Having never heard of these rules, I look forward to your test games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, they look like an interesting set and I have armies for all the lists.

      Delete
  4. Those camels caught my eye, nice!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, I have some A&A Palmyran camel cataphracts on order which I will use for my Parthians as well.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking Parthians! You definitely need enough for both sides these days if you want a game!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I've always collected both sides, trouble is you end up with so many unpainted armies.

      Delete

Macedonian Hypaspists

  Here's a guest post by Garry with some Macedonian Hypaspists he's just painted. Figures are a mix of Essex Miniatures and A&A ...